Asian Rice Paper Spring Rolls
Prep-time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 5 min Calories: 127.1
These rice paper spring rolls need a little skill to prepare, which is certainly worth the effort.
They are delicious, healthy and will surely impress your guest.
The ginger onion paste provides for a spicy tang that will make you crave for more.
Ingredients: Serves: 4
For the ginger onion paste
- 2 psc spring onion (cut small)
- 2 medium size red onions (cut small)
- 2 inch piece young fresh ginger (cut small)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the spring rolls
- 8 sheets dry rice paper
- 2 square blocks tofu, 8 oz
- 2 tbsp raw cane sugar
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 bundle Enoki mushrooms
- 1 medium sized green bell pepper (sliced in strips)
- 1 medium size carrot (sliced in thin strips)
- ½ small white radish
- 16 spinach leaves
- To make the ginger onion paste, place all ingredients in a mortar and pound into a coarse paste.
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat, add the paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, remove from the heat and allow cooling.
- Combine the cane sugar and chili powder. Slice the tofu blocks from right to left in three squares, coat the squares with the sugar, chili mix and fry in a heated skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and allow cooling.
- Slice the cooled down tofu into strips.
- Add the bell pepper, carrot and radish slices to the pan and toss so they absorb the residue from the pan, keep aside.
- The best way to soak the rice paper is on a dinner plate with water; ensure to soak them one by one because they become very soft, very fast.
- Place 1 piece of rice paper in the water on the plate, press to submerge the sheet, remove from the water after 5 seconds or so, place the sheet on a flat surface. By now the sheet will be very soft.
- Start placing the filling from the left hand side, spread a tsp of ginger onion paste from left to right. Place two pieces spinach leave on top, such that the stick half way out the edge of the sheet, top with the coated strips and lastly some raw Enoki mushrooms
- Fold the edge of the rice paper on right hand side to the center of the sheet, fold the now double folded piece over the filling and roll firmly from bottom to top.
- Repeat this with all sheets until you have 8 spring rolls.
- Serve cold as a snack.
Nutritional values are manually calculated and based on the ingredients specified.
Nutritional value per serving:
- Calories: 127.1
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 43.9 mg
- Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Protein: 7.6 g
- Dietary fiber: 3.9 g