Barley, Fennel and Bean Salad with Walnuts (Vegan)
Prep-time: 25 minutes Cooking time: 5 min Calories: 430.1
Best known as one of the main ingredients to make beer and other alcoholic beverages, Barley is also a versatile cooking ingredient. It has a nutty flavor and pasta like texture making this cereal grain a perfect component to a variety of dishes.
In this recipe Barley is paired with crunchy fennel, herbs , olives and beans to provide carbs and protein.
The salad makes a delicious lunch with some crusty bread or can be served as a side dish to complement a low carb dinner.
Ingredients: Serves: 4
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced in half rings
- 8 pcs Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 15 oz can white beans (Cannellini, Black eyed peas)
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt, pepper
- Bring the water with the barley to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the barley is cooked.
- Drain and rinse under running water and keep aside
- Drain and rinse the beans, place in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil and mustard in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper
- Add all the other ingredients to the beans, except for the walnuts and toss to combine.
- Spoon the dressing over the salad and toss.
- Arrange some salad leaves on plates , top with the salad, garnish with the chopped walnuts and serve with crusty bread.
Nutritional values are manually calculated and based on the ingredients specified.
Nutritional value per serving:
- Calories: 277.1
- Fat: 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 22.2 mg
- Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Dietary fiber: 9.4 g