Gingerbread Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free)
The sweet smell of Grandma’s gingerbread cooking is one that evokes a Christmas memory for all. You really can’t have Christmas without it! This usually causes problems if you are vegan or you have a gluten intolerance, but do not fear! Our Vegan, gluten free recipe is here to save your Holidays!
These amazing little nuggets of memories of putting out cookies for Santa and sharing with Grandad over a glass of cold milk, are easy to make, gift or freeze for when you need them. They are FANTASTIC still warm straight out of the oven, or cold and iced up with a little powdered sugar and lemon juice – or forget the lemon! Just dust with powdered sugar!
These are a great recipe to introduce friends to a healthier eating and to enjoy some quality time with children so make a little time in your busy holiday schedule and fire up your oven! You won’t be at all sorry you did.
- 2 cups gluten-free baking flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup solid vegan shortening
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
- Combine honey and shortening.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the honey/shortening mixture until a thick dough forms. Cover with well oiled film to prevent sticking, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface, roll and cut out shapes using cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 8-10 minutes.
Store uneaten cookies (if there are any) in an airtight tin. If you are making for an event you can bake ahead and store for a couple of days, or make the dough and store that in the fridge.