Healthy Meatless Christmas Quiche
There are so many foods that have become a tradition at Christmas so why not introduce a healthy and hearty new one?
This Amazing Quiche is sure to delight hot or cold, so whip one up for the next family gathering or works pot luck and impress your friends. They are sure to beg you to make on next year!
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup kefir
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 350 grams tofu
- 1/3 cup milk
- Sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cup spinach
- 1/3 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- Mix kefir with baking soda and leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Sift the flour. Melt the coconut oil by standing by placing it in a cup that is standing in a bowl of boiling water. Do not let the water mix in with the oil – you just need it to melt the oil.
- Add salt and coconut oil to kefir and baking soda, stir
- Combine flour and oil-kefir mixture in large bowl. Mix until soft and elastic
- Place dough in the fridge for half an hour.
- In a blender, combine tofu and milk; process until smooth, adding more milk if necessary. Blend in salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine spinach, garlic and tofu mixture. Mix well.
- On a floured board roll out the dough, coat the pan, then use fingers press into the pan and up the sides to form an even layer.
- Pour in the tofu and spinach mixture, smooth the top and sprinkle sweet pepper.
- Bake for about half an hour, or until the pastry is crisp. (temperature should be about 160C-170C )
- Serve hot or cold.