Sweet Potato and Spinach Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce (Vegan)
Prep-time: 25 minutes Cooking time: 10 min Calories: 467.1
We know that sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates and beta-carotene. Nutrients we value, problem is that they are gluten free and therefore a bit difficult, (but not impossible) to transform them into else then straight from the boil or puree.
A bit of arrowroot lands a helping hand to solve that issue and together with iron rich spinach and a fresh tomato sauce this makes a lovely Italian dish.
Use any vegan cheese you like to top it off.
Ingredients: Serves: 4
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and cut in chunky pieces)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 ½ cups all -purpose flour
- ½ cup arrow root
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 clove garlic (grated)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt, pepper
For the tomato sauce:
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- ½ medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt, pepper
- Place the sweet potatoes in a stock pot, cover with water and a little salt and boil until soft, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a skillet to medium heat, add the onion and garlic, stir around for 30 seconds, add the spinach and fry until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and allow cooling for a few minutes.
- Strain the spinach in a sieve to release excess water
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a hand masher or potato ricer and place in a mixing bowl, add the arrow root, chop the spinach fine add to the mix and combine.
- Add as much flour needed to form a solid workable dough, quantity may vary based on the water content of the mix. Take some of the dough and roll on a flour dusted flat surface into a ½ inch thick sausage shape.
- Cut the roll into small, about 1 inch pieces, roll the pieces over the back side of a fork, the linings created will help to absorb the sauce later.
- To make the sauce: Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan, add the onion, garlic and fry for 1 minute, add the tomatoes and a little water, add the oregano, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mix to an up-right blender and blend smooth, return to the pan and season to taste.
- Bring a stock pot with a generous amount of water and some salt to a boil, add the gnocchi and boil until cooked, when the gnocchi’s float they are cooked.
- Remove the floating gnocchi’s with a slotted spoon from the pot and transfer to the tomato sauce
- Simmer the gnocchi 1 minute in the sauce and serve
- Garnish with the grated cheese and cilantro
Nutritional values are manually calculated and based on the ingredients specified.
Nutritional value per serving:
- Calories: 467.1
- Fat: 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 102.2 mg
- Carbohydrate 100.3 g
- Protein: 11.9 g
- Dietary fiber: 6.6 g