Tasty Stuffed Peppers
These tasty little treats are amazingly quick to make and highly nutritious as a snack, or a great side to a fresh, organic meal. You can use sweet mini peppers grown in your garden, or if you have a bumper harvest from your tubs and post around your home, small peppers that aren’t fully grown. They will be just as sweet and tasty. It’s such a fantastic and versatile recipe – it’ll give you a great excuse to start some pepper plants on your balcony or windowsill to make sure you can enjoy them whenever you feel like it!
Feta and cream cheese are a great mix of flavours, but you can also use almond cheese and vegan blue cheese, or even tofu, to make a vegan version. Changing the cheeses will make a different flavour, as will adding spring onion celery or simulated bacon crumbles. The recipe is very forgiving so play around with it and see what delicious discoveries you can make!
- 10 mini sweet peppers
- 5 oz feta cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Cut off top of peppers and about 1 inch at the bottom (this is optional, but needs to be done so that it can stand on its own which makes it easier to handle) and carefully carve out the inside, making sure you remove all the seeds.
- Carefully mix all other ingredients in a medium bowl. Using a fork, mash until you have a smooth consistency, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
- Fill peppers and top, and arrange on the plate.
- If you can, leave the peppers in the fridge for an hour or two so that the flavours can develop, remembering to bring them back to room temperature before eating.
- Serve with a fresh, crisp salad and homemade multigrain crackers, or as a side to organic vegetable soup.