Sip the taste of Christmas! Our Vegan Nog will surprise you with its creamy decadence and full flavour, as is it delicious, but also a much healthier version than its traditional cousin. You can also make it with a little Christmas ‘cheer’ or in a virgin state, so it really is one drink for all! This Christmas staple is easy to whip up and is a positive crowd pleaser with its ingredients on hand in most cooks pantrys.
This Nog is forgiving in flavour, so why not play with the spices and see what your favorite is. You could even leave some out for Santa – the non-alcoholic one of course!
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 7-8 dates, pitted
- 2 ripe bananas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- Bourbon (optional), to taste
- Raw honey (optional), to taste
- Place the coconut milk, spices and dates in the blender and process to incorporate. If your dates are dried and a little hard, put them in glass with a couple of spoons of hot water until they are scantly covered with water. Leave them to soften. It may take some time. If you have the option, soak them overnight to make sure they are nice and soft or source fresh. Soaking should soften them up so that they will blend smoothly or your Nog will have hard lumps of date in it.
- Chop the banana and add it to the milk, then pulse to obtain a rich, creamy texture. Frozen bananas give a creamier texture than fresh.
- Refrigerate for two hours, or if time is a problem for an event, pre-freeze the softened fruit and use ice cold coconut milk.
- Pour in glasses and serve garnished with the cinnamon powder, cinnamon sticks, mint candy canes, or any other way you desire!