Natural Remedies for Anxiety
There are moments in our lives we all feel nervous, anxious and worried. That is something we can’t help but feel; it just happens. There are a lot of reasons why we feel upset and anxious, like work, health, money, family and love. Probably every one of us can add at least one more reason why we are feeling anxious each day. For some, that is the visit from mother-in-law and for other that is an annoying colleague from work. Anxiety can come in many forms from full-blown anxiety disorder to daily stress. Most people visit the doctor to help them with dealing with those problems, but often they are too eager to prescribe powerful medicines. Even though these medications can be helpful for a lot of people, for the rest this is a premature solution. Those medications could have severe side effects that could be avoided if you try dealing with these problems in the natural way.
Most people are not aware of the fact that there are many safe non-drug ways you can deal with anxiety, from various supplements to mind-body techniques. Next time your feelings get too tough to cope with, you should try one of these natural ways of dealing with your problems. You can use them instead of medication or even in addition to them if you are suffering from more serious forms of anxiety.
Dealing with anxiety
To successfully deal with anxiety, you need to do everything in your power to ease this condition. Professional treatment in an office is not enough, and if you want to get better, you need to include home treatment also.
- Recognize what causes your anxiety problems, accept it and make a plan for dealing with it. Once you recognize the cause, it would be easier to incorporate changes that will make your life easier. Keep a journal and note your feelings in it. This way it will be easier to know when your symptoms appear and why.
- Find a relaxing activity that will help you to take your mind off your problems. Choose activities you enjoy to do, and focus on it at least for 15 minutes a day. Try using different techniques like meditation, yoga or even knitting to see which one suits you and your lifestyle. You will see how this activity will help you steer your mind away from any anxious thoughts you might have.
- Try being physically active at least couple of days a week because exercise can be an excellent tool for reducing stress. Physical activity will definitely help improve your mood. You should try getting sunlight at least for 15 minutes a day to increase vitamin-D levels that can reduce anxiety symptoms.
- Avoid alcohol and any other sedatives because that might make everything worse. Even though you might feel better at the moment, it will be worse after they wear off. You should also quit smoking and drinking coffee. Nicotine and caffeine will only help you to feel more nervous, instead of calming you down. If you really like your coffee and don’t want to give up on it completely, try reducing in one a cup a day. Then you’ll see if there is any decrease in your anxiety symptoms.
- Get enough sleep. Your anxiety symptoms can worsen if you are not getting a good night’s sleep. After you get enough rest each day, you will realize that you wake up more relaxed instead of feeling stressed and nervous because you had a bad night.
- Eating healthy can help you to reduce anxiety. Pick green vegetables, herbal teas and food rich in nutrients instead of choosing fast food or snack. Maybe you’ll even discover that you like cooking and discovering new recipes so you’ll have another relaxing activity to do. Making healthier lifestyle choices can make a huge difference.
By following these bits of advice listed above, you will give yourself a decent head start in this battle. Luckily, you don’t have to stop at that. You can actually do so much more to help yourself ease the symptoms of anxiety.
Did you know that there are various natural remedies that can help you deal with your anxiety problems? If you are just feeling anxious or upset, you should try using these natural remedies instead of medications. Of course, if you are suffering from more serious anxiety problems then these remedies can be an excellent addition to your professional treatment.
You have surely heard already that chamomile is relaxing, but have you heard that you can use it to ease the symptoms of anxiety? Next time you start feeling nervous or anxious, prepare a cup of chamomile tea to calm yourself. Just concentrate on breathing in the smell of chamomile and drink your tea, and you will see that you are starting to feel more relaxed.
Even though fennel isn’t used specifically for anxiety, it is excellent for dealing with most common symptoms of anxiety like digestion, nervous coughing and asthma. It can be taken as an oil or a tea.
Passionflower is great for dealing with mild and moderate anxiety, but you should consider using it even if you are suffering from severe anxiety. It can only help you. Passionflower is used to reduce various symptoms of anxiety from headaches, agitation to mood swings and hot flashes. Use the best quality passionflower you can get as the more pure the form, the more effective it will be.
Various studies have proven that lavender can be extremely effective when dealing with anxiety. In some cases, it was as effective as the medication called lorazepam, just without side effects. We all know how relaxing warm bath can be. Just imagine how much more effective a warm bath with lavender oil would be. Put dry lavender flowers around your home and apply lavender oil to your forehead and temples to get even better results.
Lemon balm has great anti-anxiety powers that can greatly help you with this problem. It reduces stress, raises calmness and even promotes sleep. Combine lemon balm with other calming herbs like valerian and chamomile to get the best result.
Valerian Root is usually used as a sleeping aid, but it is also extremely effective when it comes to reducing mental and physical tension. It will help you to relax easily.
If you are taking any medications for your condition, you need to consult a doctor before you decide to take herbal remedies or supplements. This way you’ll be sure that they are safe to use and that they won’t interfere with your medications.